Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Prize winning cookies at a recent Arkansas country fair. Source: County Fair Cookbook
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup regular stick margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in walnuts. Shape dough into a roll 1 1/2-inch in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Cut dough in 1/4 inch slices. Place about 1 1/2-inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake in 400°F oven 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets. Cool on racks.
A nice, easy cookie to put together. Didn't spread much while baking and turned out nice and crisp.