Recipe by Julesong
The different textures of this dish are great together!
Top Review by Missy Wombat
The only change I made was a minor one - using chicken flavoured vegetable stock as I am a vegetarian. Every Monday I cook a rice dish and I can see this one becoming a favourite especially when zucchini are plentiful. It is a very buttery dish and the taste reflects this. A few extra herbs would not do any harm as it is a quite mild dish. Parmesan or some kind of tasty or sharp cheese is needed to provide a little contrast. I liked the crunchy rice touch and my toddler loved the carrots and the crunchy rice as well. It is a very more-ish dish and it goes down very easily.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1⁄3 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced thinly
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet (with a tightly-fitting lid).
- Add the onion and saute' until tender, stirring, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, cover skillet, and heat to boiling.
- When boiling, stir in the rice, diced carrot, and garlic, then cover tightly and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- When rice has cooked for 15 minutes, melt the remaining 3 Tbsp of butter, uncover the rice and drizzle 2 Tbsp of the butter evenly over the top.
- Turn the heat to high, and using a large spoon or spatula, press down on the rice.
- Spread a layer of the zucchini slices over the top of the rice; drizzle with the remaining Tbsp of butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the skillet tightly and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes- the aim is that the layer of rice on the bottom of the pan is toasted a rich golden brown; if you have a gas stove as opposed to electric, times and temperatures may vary to achieve the desired texture.
- As the rice is cooking, you will be able to smell the aroma: you can lift the lid and the rice at the edge of the skillet to check the progress.
- Not all the rice will become crunchy- there will be a nice mixture of textures and tastes; serve a bit of the crunchy rice layer with every spoonful.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.