This recipe idea was born when I was attacked by a buffalo wing craving while trying to diet. As with all my recipes, feel free to sub full-fat ingredients if you want. I do suggest using the panko as it browns in the same amount of time that it takes for the chicken cultlets to cook through but stay moist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken cutlets (or pound a BL, SL breast into submission- you want it thin)
- 2 egg whites, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (NOT Tabasco! I used Texas Pete's brand but Franks' would be good, too)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (I used & recommend Spiced Panko Bread Crumbs but you could use regular breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
What makes it Buffalo-ish tasting
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat feta cheese (I prefer Blue cheese but it doesn't exist in my world in a lowfat variety)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
Sandwich assembly items
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted (I used Nature's Own Sugar-Free buns)
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1Mix the hot sauce with the egg whites then set up your assembly line: chicken, egg dip, panko crumbs, baking rack.
- 2Dip the chicken in the egg then roll in the panko crumbs. Press those crumbs on tightly. Place on baking rack to set while you get the frying pan ready.
- 3Heat your large frying pan over medium-high flame and add the olive oil.
- 4When the oil is hot, add the cutlets. Cook for about 3 minutes on the first side; flip and cook 2 minutes more, depending on the thickness of your chicken. Don't let the panko get over browned!
- 5While the chicken cooks, toast the buns under the broiler.
- 6For each sandwich, place 1 lettuce leaf on the browned bun bottom ( that's an odd phrase, huh?)and spoon over 1/4 of the "Buffalo" sauce. Top with a cutlet, another 1/4 of the sauce and a lettuce leaf.
- 7If you have extra sauce, dipping your sandwich as you eat is encouraged.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.1
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 836.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat feta cheese