My mom made these brownies when I was a kid. They have a great oatmeal crunchy layer on the bottom topped off with frosted brownies. They look great on dessert tray too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1Crunchy Layer:.
- 2Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in oats and brown sugar. Add the melted butter.
- 3Pat mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. At this time, the crunchy layer will not be completely baked.
- 5Brownie Layer:.
- 6While the crunchy layer is in the oven, prepare the brownies as directed on the package (either fudge or cake style). The water, oil & eggs listed with the brownie layer here were for the Duncan Hines fudgy brownies. Adjust the ingredients to match your brownie mix.
- 7Spread batter in pan over crunchy layer after it comes out of the oven.
- 8Bake brownies for 40-45 minutes for fudgy style or 35-40 minutes for cake style. Do not overbake.
- 10Wait to prepare frosting until brownies are cool. In a small saucepan, melt together chocolate and butter. Remove from heat.
- 11Immediately add powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons hot water. Stir until smooth.
- 12Add remaining tablespoon of hot water to make a soft, pourable consistancy.
- 13Spread over brownies while frosting is still hot.
- 14Let set until firm. Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Brownie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.5
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 55.0 mg
- Sodium 249.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g