Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mom made these brownies when I was a kid. They have a great oatmeal crunchy layer on the bottom topped off with frosted brownies. They look great on dessert tray too!
- 3⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (18 ounce) package brownie mix (family size)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, sift if lumpy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Crunchy Layer:.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in oats and brown sugar. Add the melted butter.
- Pat mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. At this time, the crunchy layer will not be completely baked.
- Brownie Layer:.
- While the crunchy layer is in the oven, prepare the brownies as directed on the package (either fudge or cake style). The water, oil & eggs listed with the brownie layer here were for the Duncan Hines fudgy brownies. Adjust the ingredients to match your brownie mix.
- Spread batter in pan over crunchy layer after it comes out of the oven.
- Bake brownies for 40-45 minutes for fudgy style or 35-40 minutes for cake style. Do not overbake.
- Wait to prepare frosting until brownies are cool. In a small saucepan, melt together chocolate and butter. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons hot water. Stir until smooth.
- Add remaining tablespoon of hot water to make a soft, pourable consistancy.
- Spread over brownies while frosting is still hot.
- Let set until firm. Cut into bars.