Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had great reviews with my other fish recipe Beer Battered Fish (For Fish N'chips). But I'm always striving to improve. I did some experimenting, and this fish batter is great! Serve it with Just Too Easy Tartar Sauce, fries and coleslaw. Or make it into a fish sandwich with tartar sauce and lettuce on a bun. Either way, it's delish!
- 2 lbs cod (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 ounces club soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus seasoning of your choice..Old Bay, Lemon Pepper etc)
- oil (for frying)
- Mix together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in enough club soda to make a batter about the consistency of thin pancake batter. You don't want it too thick, just thick enough to nicely coat a spoon.
- Season the batter to taste if desired with seasoning of your choice. I suggest Old Bay, Lemon Pepper seasoning, or seasoned salt. set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to 375°F Use a candy thermometer if you need to. Oil in pan should be about 3" to 4" deep.
- Cut fish into portion sizes and remove any pin bones, and pat dry.
- Dredge the fish in the dry flour/cornstarch mixture. Shake off any excess.This allows the batter to stick to the fish.
- Dip dredged fish into batter allowing any excess to drip off before carefully adding the fish to the hot oil.
- Cook the fish one or two pieces at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels or better yet, on a cake cooling rack set up over paper towels.
- Serve while hot.
This recipe is so much better than the beer batter I tried. The batter was light, crispy and full of flavor (my own seasoning blend). I also used the batter to fry shrimp. Delicious. Thanks for sharing.
This was a great recipe. It was important for me to find an alcohol free batter and this recipe did not disappoint. I rinsed the cod and patted dry. Seasoned it with salt and pepper on both sides. Added pepper, onion powder and red chile powder to the batter. Voila' perfect!!
I created an account to 5-star this! So good. I had a premade fish fry pack and the recipe on the box looked so boring. Found this recipe and used the boxed mix as the flour/ baking powder dry mix... Added some corn starch and club soda, brilliant!