Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had great reviews with my other fish recipe Beer Battered Fish (For Fish N'chips). But I'm always striving to improve. I did some experimenting, and this fish batter is great! Serve it with Just Too Easy Tartar Sauce, fries and coleslaw. Or make it into a fish sandwich with tartar sauce and lettuce on a bun. Either way, it's delish!
- 2 lbs cod (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 ounces club soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus seasoning of your choice..Old Bay, Lemon Pepper etc)
- oil (for frying)
- Mix together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in enough club soda to make a batter about the consistency of thin pancake batter. You don't want it too thick, just thick enough to nicely coat a spoon.
- Season the batter to taste if desired with seasoning of your choice. I suggest Old Bay, Lemon Pepper seasoning, or seasoned salt. set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a deep pan to 375°F Use a candy thermometer if you need to. Oil in pan should be about 3" to 4" deep.
- Cut fish into portion sizes and remove any pin bones, and pat dry.
- Dredge the fish in the dry flour/cornstarch mixture. Shake off any excess.This allows the batter to stick to the fish.
- Dip dredged fish into batter allowing any excess to drip off before carefully adding the fish to the hot oil.
- Cook the fish one or two pieces at a time until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels or better yet, on a cake cooling rack set up over paper towels.
- Serve while hot.
I created an account to 5-star this! So good. I had a premade fish fry pack and the recipe on the box looked so boring. Found this recipe and used the boxed mix as the flour/ baking powder dry mix... Added some corn starch and club soda, brilliant!
Hi Friends, I have tried this recipe and have seen remarkable results. The crust was light and crispy and wasn't soggy at all. I was looking for non beer recipe and this one is mind blowing. Of course i wanted my own seasonings, i included red chilly powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, lemon juice, flour and corn starch, baking powder and canada dry club soda. Dredged fish in flour then generous coating of batter deep fried in hot oil for 3 mins each side. it was awesome , thanks for sharing this recipe. Regards Ahmed.
wrote my review and forgot to rate it