Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great muffins for a quick breakfast! These muffins are delicious and healthy, made with wheat flour and no eggs or dairy. They can be frozen for a fresh taste anytime.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour (or regular unbleached flour)
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup rice milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 banana, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, finely chopped (measure before chopping)
- 1 cup granola cereal
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- toasted wheat germ (for topping) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line about 16 large muffin cups with paper liners, 24 if muffins are small.
- In a small bown, sift together first 7 dry ingredients and set aside. In an even smaller bowl, mix the 2 tbsp flax and 3 tbsp water and whisk together until goopy, about 30 seconds, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together coconut milk, rice milk, vanilla, maple syrup, oil, and applesauce, and then add the flax mixture to this. (for less fat, use more applesauce and less oil.
- Add flour mixture to the large bowl of wet ingredients until just mixed (don't over-mix). Fold in mashed and chopped bananas, granola, walnuts, and coconut. Scoop into muffins tins and sprinkle the tops with the wheat germ, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in muffin tin, and enjoy :).