This is a recipe from an insert of the Taste of Home Magazine - it's very moist and crunchy with the brown sugar/nut topping. The recipe makes 2 pans, so you can freeze one for later - but I'll bet you eat them both! My coworkers were asking for the recipe after the first bite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- 2Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- 4Stir in apples.
- 5Transfer to two greased 8-inch square baking pans.
- 6For the topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 7Cut in butter until crumbly.
- 8Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- 9Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 10Cool completely.
- 11Cover and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Apple Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.6
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 97.5 mg
- Sodium 547.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 64.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g