Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from an insert of the Taste of Home Magazine - it's very moist and crunchy with the brown sugar/nut topping. The recipe makes 2 pans, so you can freeze one for later - but I'll bet you eat them both! My coworkers were asking for the recipe after the first bite!
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- Stir in apples.
- Transfer to two greased 8-inch square baking pans.
- For the topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Cover and freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.