1/3 Photos of Crunch Top Apple Pie (Paula Deen)
1 hr 10 mins
Saw Paula Deen make this on Food TV and I was sold. The addition of applesauce to the pie filling makes it a perfect apple pie. I may never try another apple pie recipe! MMMmmm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie (homemade, frozen or refrigerated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 3 1/2 cups peeled chopped cooking apples (golden delicious is my favorite, but also try Rome and Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of the dough.
- 3Toss apples with 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium-sized bowl.
- 4Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Pour over apples and toss. Stir in applesauce. Spoon this mixture into pie pan and dot with butter.
- 5Cut remaining crust into strips; using every other one arrange over top of pie. Lattice in remaining strips (going the other direction, crossing over and under every other strip).
- 6For crunch topping, combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of crust.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue to bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust and topping are golden brown. (My pie with golden delicious apples was done after 30 minutes at this step, so watch your pie!).
- 8Note: It helps to make a foil ring to put around pie crust edge to keep it from browning too fast.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunch Top Apple Pie (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.7
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 330.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g