Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original recipe was a 1953 Sunset Mag recipe. I've added more nuts and cinnamon and less flour. It's awsome!
- Place apples in a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, except butter and sprinkle evenly over apples.
- DRIZZLE melted butter over the top, cover every square inch and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Cover with foil if needed as the nuts tend to burn.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
Di, I owe you an apology because I forgot to rate this pie probably because just as quickly as it was made it was gone!!! I used macintosh apples and they added such a great taste. Served warm with vanilla bean ice cream...oh soooo good! This was great and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe, I plan on making it again it was the first time ever I made an apple pie, can't wait to make it again.
I just used the topping portion of this recipe with my own canned pie filling. It was so good. Crunchy and flavorful - that secret ingredient (graham cracker crumbs) was wonderful. My husband gobbled this pie up!!
I have been searching for this recipe for a very long time. I have made it many times and lost the recipe. It is always a favorite of anyone that tries it. My search is finally over. It's fall. Time to bake Sunset's Crunch Top Apple Pie