Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are traditional and great as a morning accompaniment.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- butter, for greasing
- In large bowl, stir together yeast and water.
- Let stand five minutes then add warm milk, butter, salt, and sugar.
- Stir in flour until the batter has a slightly elastic consistency.
- Cover and let stand 45 minutes.
- Stir in dissolved soda, cover, and let rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Grease griddle and heat over medium-low heat.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto griddle, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Reduce heat to low, cover griddle and cook crumpets until tops look dry, about 15 minutes.
- They will look a little gummy, but will be done; do not turn over.
- Repeat until batter is used up.
- Toast before serving.
These were really good! Everyone in the family loved them! Will definitely make again. Thanks!
These turned out excellent! My English boyfriend was missing crumpets and these satisfied his craving. I wasn't able to get the traditional bubbles on the top, but nobody else mentioned that, so I'm wondering if that was just me. I'll definitely make these again!
I made these yesterday and followed the recipe exactly with splendid results. Very nice texture with just a hint of sweetness. This was a first for me to even have a crumpet but you can bet I'll be making this recipe a LOT!