Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk, preferably nonfat (or replace the water with scalded milk that has been cooled to lukewarm)
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup divided water, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons divided water, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon melted butter, preferably clarified
- Mix the batter. In a large mixer bowl or other large bowl, with the paddle attatchment on low speed (#2 if using the KitchenAid, with the paddle attatchment), beat together the flour, dry milk, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the 3/4 cup water and, gradually raising the speed to medium (#5 KitchenAid), beat for about 5 minutes, until completely smooth.
- Let the batter rise. Using an oiled rubber spatula, scrape the batter into a dough-rising container or bowl with at least 1-quart capacity. With a piece of tape, mark the side at where double the height of the dough would be. Cover and allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Add the baking soda and the remaining water and let the dough rise again. In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and the remaining 2 tbsp water. Stir into the batter (this will deflate it again) and allow it to rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. The batter will be filled with bubbles.
- Preheat the griddle or frying pan. Ig using an electric griddle, preheat it to 275°F If using a skillet, heat it over low heat until a drop of water sizzles when added.
- Fry the crumpets. Brush the griddle or the pan and the inside of the crumpet rings lightly with melted butter. Set the rings in the pan (cook the crumpets in 2 batches if necessary). Use a ladle or large spoon to pour the batter into the rings filling them about two-thirds full. The batter will rise to the top during cooking. Cook the crumpets for 10 minutes or until they are nicely browned underneath andh ave lost their shine and appear dull on top (to check, using tongs, list off a ring and slide a spatula underneath). Turn the crumpets and continue cooking until the bottoms are browned.
- Cool thecrumpets. Remove the crumpets to a wire rack and cool completely.