Recipe by 54
i don't remember what prompted me but i decided that i needed to make a bluberry pie. oddly enough, none of my cookbooks had a recipe so i turned to my friend the internet. after finding countless "thaw frozen dough, add canned pie filling" recipes i decided to try and put together one of my own. you will need 1 9-inch pie crust. i like to use one i found here, #20984 flaky pie crust posted by teresa m. it's easy to make and use but, if you have your own favorite, go ahead and use it. though i haven't tried it yet, i have a feeling this would be just as good with any other berry, cherry, apple, or even peach filling. one more note - prep time is estimated and depends mainly on your choice of crust.
- 9 inch pie crusts
- 473.19 ml blueberries
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 22.18 ml butter or 22.18 ml shortening
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml cinnamon (optional)
- additional butter (optional)
- cinnamon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.
- make the blueberry filling.
- combine berries, 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a saucepan.
- heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture has reached boiling point.
- remove from heat.
- make the topping.
- mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- cut in butter (or shortening) until crumbly (if you've got one, a food processor works well. a few pulses should suffice).
- separate out 1/2 cup of this mixture.
- add nutmeg and cinnamon (if using) to the 1/2 cup portion.
- make the other filling.
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder to the remaining flour/sugar mixture.
- combine 1/2 cup milk, egg, and vanilla. add to dry ingredients and combine until moist.
- pour into pie shell.
- spoon in blueberry mixture and cut through to marble (use a spoon so you don't accidentally cut through your crust like i did the firt time i made this).
- sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup of sugar/flour mixture on top.
- dot with butter and garnish with dashes of cinnamon sugar (if desired).
- bake 40-45 minutes.