Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are simple squares with a crunchy cinnamon, chocolate and nut topping. You may want to roast your nuts in a frying pan (without oil or butter) before chopping them to enhance their flavour. I couldn't get golden caster sugar and muscovado sugar in Switzerland (recipe source is the English 'Good Food' magazine), so I used normal caster sugar and brown sugar. If you do have access to muscovado sugar, please use it. I loooooooove muscovado sugar and will check if there is a supplier in Switzerland. However, normal supermarkets don't store it :(. The squares can easily be frozen. I like to wrap them individually and take them with me for lunch or break time at work and university.
for the CAKE
- 175 g butter, at room temperature cubed (6oz)
- 200 g golden caster sugar (8oz)
- 175 g plain flour (6oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
for the TOPPING
- 100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (4oz)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 g light muscovado sugar (4oz)
- 85 g mixed nuts, roughly chopped (3oz)
- Heat oven to conventional 180°C (350°F) / fan 160°C (320°F) / gas 4. Line the base of a 18x27cm (7x10inches) tray-bake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put cake ingredients into a large large mixing bowl, then beat with an electric hand mixer until well-blended and creamy.
- Tip into cake tin, spread evenly right into the corners, then scatter chocolate on top.
- Mix the remaining topping ingredients and scatter over the top of the chocolate. Lightly press to compact the mixture, then bake for 40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
- It will keep for four days in a tin or wrapped in foil.
- It may also be frozen. I freeze them individually (wrapped in foil) and take one out of the freezer in the morning for lunch or break at university or work. No need to defrost the night before.
Very nice - only problem was the topping not staying on top of the cake! It won't go to waste, I'll add it to the next crumble I make! Flavour is great!