Shannon Holmes's Note:
Yet another recipe I made with stuff around the house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flaked cereal (I used Post Honey Bunches Of Oats)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (no need to peel, this is about 1/2 of a medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup soymilk, or more
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Spray either 6 large muffin baking cup pan or 12 small muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 3Make the topping, combine flour, cinnamon and sugar, cutting in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together the cereal, shredded zucchini and applesauce.
- 5Set aside for 5 minutes, or until cereal is softened.
- 6Once cereal is soft, add the oil and the vanilla.
- 7Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 8Add the flour mixture to the zucchini mixture, stirring until combined, you will need to add the soy milk to make it not such a stiff dough, you may need up to 1/4 cup or more.
- 9Stir in chopped walnuts (if using).
- 10Divide the mixture to muffin cups evenly.
- 11Sprinkle the muffins evenly with the topping.
- 12Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- 13Place on cooling rack, cover with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- 14After the five minutes, run a butter knife around the muffins, then remove very carefully, they are very soft and delicate.
- 15Cool completely, place in tupperware lined with a paper towel.
- 16Freeze after 1-2 days, wrapped in plastic wrap.
- 17These would also be good with 1/2 cup cinnamon chips in place of the walnuts.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crumble Topped Zucchini Walnut Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.7
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 461.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: