Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Oh, are these good!....a must-try.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sifted baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with soft butter (about 2 Tbsps).
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except the icing sugar, cream and butter.
- Press three quarters of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. (if desired, sprinkle with tiny chocolate chips or nuts or both on top of the crust).
- In a saucepan, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, milk (I like to use whipping cream in place of milk for a thicker texture) and the butter; until melted and combined.
- Pour the melted mixture over the crumbled mixture in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture (the mixture does not have to cover completely).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.