Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Absolutely yum! Do not overcook calamari otherwise it will be rubbery. Stick to the time frame below and you will be okay!.
- 750 g cleaned calamari, hoods
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups corn flake crumbs or 4 cups breadcrumbs
- vegetable seasoning
- canola oil, for deep frying
- egg mayonnaise
- crushed garlic
- salt & pepper
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut calamari into 1 cm thick rings.
- Place flour, salt & pepper into a bowl, mix through.
- Beat eggs and water in a separate bow.
- Place cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs and a couple of decent sized sprinkles of vegetable seasoning into a third bowl and mix.
- Coat calamari in flour mix, dip into egg mixture and then coat in breadcrumb mixture. Press breadcrumbs on with fingertips. Place on lined baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 150. Pour oil into a deep, heavy-based saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook calamari rings in batches for 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden.
- Remove calamari to a wire rack over a lined baking tray. Keep warm in oven whilst cooking remaining calamari.
- Mix 3-4 tblspns of good egg mayonnaise with a squeeze of lemon juice and a couple of tspns of crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Serve calamari with the garlic/lemon aioli, chips and salad.