Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Old fashioned apple pie that tastes like grandma made it. No fail recipe!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large tart apples, peeled and sliced (I like granny smiths)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add apple slices.
- Sprinkle water and lemon juice over apple slices and toss until coated with sugar.
- Spoon into a deep dish pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Dab on top of apples.
- Bake for 50- 60 minutes.
- Serve warm.
What a great recipe Suzie. It was so easy to make and it tasted incredible. We especially loved the crumb top, it was truly delish. I made the recipe into tarts. I halved the recipe made one batch exactly as written. The other half I spiced with British Apple Pie Spice Mix, they complimented each other perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
The pie was beautiful and the flavor wonderful, but the juices from the apples, water and lemon were very runny. I used Granny Smith apples--if that makes any difference. If I were to make this again, I would definitely add a thickener like cornstarch before baking. It did make a stunning pie--with the golden brown crumbles sprinkled over a mound of apples.