A sweet treat that uses common ingredients. I like to add cinnamon to the crumb topping, but it's good either way. Margarine or shortening will work instead of butter in this recipe. If you don't have sour milk you can make it by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup and filling with milk to the one-cup measurement. Stir and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. You'll have sour milk for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and flour until well combined and lump free, add the melted butter and stir well or crumble it between your hands until well blended.
- Reserve 3/4 c of the mixture for topping, if desired mix cinnamon into the topping mixture.
- Mix in the baking powder, then add the milk and egg and mix well.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 325° for about 55-60 minutes or until cake pulls slightly away from the side of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, even better with whipped cream, cool whip or ice-cream.