Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sweet treat that uses common ingredients. I like to add cinnamon to the crumb topping, but it's good either way. Margarine or shortening will work instead of butter in this recipe. If you don't have sour milk you can make it by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup and filling with milk to the one-cup measurement. Stir and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. You'll have sour milk for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and flour until well combined and lump free, add the melted butter and stir well or crumble it between your hands until well blended.
- Reserve 3/4 c of the mixture for topping, if desired mix cinnamon into the topping mixture.
- Mix in the baking powder, then add the milk and egg and mix well.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 325° for about 55-60 minutes or until cake pulls slightly away from the side of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, even better with whipped cream, cool whip or ice-cream.
This was not at all what I was expecting but excellent just the same. I added vanilla and cinnamon to the batter. Very good. My company gobbled it up so quickly I barely had a chance to sneak a piece. Thanks! This is a good one!
This is a snap to whip up. I did add cinnamon, vanilla, and used buttermilk. It has a buttery flavor and nice topping, but the cake is more delicate (crumbles easily). It does better with a fork instead of grabbing with one's hand, which is my family's style! Roxygirl
This was a very good cake....I did make a few alterations...Because i read on here that a few found it too sweet I cut the sugar back to 1 1/2 cups (although next time I may even try just 1 cup). I did not take any of the crumble out to reserve it I just left it as a whole cake. I also added 1 tsp of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg and all spice. The cake came out moist and has a nice spice to it. Really nice coffee cake. I like it plain but there are a few recipes on here for nice butter cream icings :) I think a bit of store bought caramel sauce drizzled over top would be quite nice too. All in all great recipe and easy easy with few ingredients.