Recipe by Crocheting Mama
I never seem to have butter softened to the right temperature when I want to make coffee cake, so I finally asked my mom for her recipe, and it doesn't require any softened butter, just oil, so it is a breeze to make. It is easy to get the consistency of the crumb topping just right. You could substitute other types of nuts if you wanted.
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 208.19 ml vegetable oil
- 473.18 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 236.59-354.88 ml walnuts, chopped
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugars and oil.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Remove 6 tablespoons of mixture and reserve for crumb topping.
- Add egg and buttermilk to the larger portion of the mixture. Stir well. Put in 9X13.
- To reserved crumb mixture, add nuts to taste and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.