1/1 Photo of Crown Roast of Pork with Savory Fruit Stuffing
3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A crown roast makes an impressive dinner, especially for holidays. This is the recipe I've used for years, and is always a crowd pleaser. Sometimes I use an apple and sausage stuffing instead (see below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pork loin crown roast (about 8-9 pounds, 14 ribs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 5 cups dry bread, cubes
- 4 medium apples, peeled cored and chopped
- 4 medium pears, peeled,cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- 1Place pork roast in roasting pan, resting on bone tips (like a rack).
- 2Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat.
- 3Roast, uncovered, at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4In a medium skillet, heat vegetable oil.
- 5Sauté onions and celery until onions are golden.
- 6Transfer to a large bowl.
- 7Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
- 8Remove roast from oven; drain off excess fat.
- 9Turn roast right side up (bones facing up), and replace in pan.
- 10Fill cavity with stuffing.
- 11Spoon the rest of the stuffing into a greased baking dish.
- 12Bake stuffing uncovered with pork roast for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 160°F.
- 13Let roast stand 15 minutes, prior to slicing.
- 14Apple and Sausage Stuffing: Saute sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling sausage with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- 15Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- 16Add butter, onions and celery to skillet; saute until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 17Add apples; saute until apples are tender but still hold shape, about 10 minutes.
- 18Add sage, thyme and allspice; saute for another minute.
- 19Add to sausage.
- 20Stir in stuffing mix.
- 21Season with salt and pepper, (stuffing can be made a day ahead; store in covered bowl, in refrigerator) Generously butter 15x10-inch glass baking dish.
- 22Fill center of crown roast of pork with stuffing (following above directions).
- 23Transfer remaining stuffing to prepared dish.
- 24Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crown Roast of Pork with Savory Fruit Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.7
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 135.1 mg
- Sodium 967.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 42.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned stuffing mix