1/1 Photo of Crown Roast of Pork With Calvados Sauce
2 hrs 30 mins
A fine roast pork seasoned with fresh apples and a smooth rich sauce make for a very special holiday meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 -16 lb) pork roast, with 24 ribs
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 golden delicious apples, cored and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallot
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup calvados
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon veal demi-glace (or 2 beef boulion cubes)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1Season roast on all side with salt and pepper. Place in large roasting pan with rack; allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 3Place large ball of foil in center of roast; adjust roast to form circle. Place apples around meat. Roast 1 hour, basting with pan juices every 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees; roast until instant read thermometer inserted into center of meat, away from bone, registers 140 degrees for medium, 15-30 minutes more. Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil and let rest 15-20 minutes.
- 4Transfer apples to platter.
- 5Pour pan drippings into a bowl, skim off fat and reserve juices. Place roasting pan over medium heat; melt 1 tbsp butter. Add 1/2 cup finely diced shallots and 3 thyme sprigs; cook 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup Calvados; stir to deglaze pan. Stir in reserved juices; chicken broth and veal demi-glace. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Whisk in cream; season with salt and pepper. Strain sauce into a sauceboat.
- 6Carve roast between bones; arrange alongside apples on platter. Pour some of sauce over meat; pass remaining sauce at table.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crown Roast of Pork With Calvados Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 1114.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 58.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: