Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Ask your butcher to shape the crown roast and tie it with string. This spectacular presentation of lamb ribs comes from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 racks of lamb, tied into a crown roast, minimum 12 cutlets
- 1⁄2 cup button mushroom
- 2 tablespoons water, hot
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- bacon, slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook mushrooms for ten minutes.
- Combine with next six ingredients; stuff the crown roast.
- Wrap bacon around rib ends to prevent charring and arrange a few slices across the top of the stuffing.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes per pound.
- Remove string and replace bacon from rib ends with paper frills.
- **Variations: Instead of stuffing, place crown upsided down in roasting pan (it won't be necessary to wrap rib ends as they won't char) and roast. Fill roasted crown with any of the following cooked vegetables: peas, carrots, whole cauliflower, mashed potatoes or any combination.