Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a great minestrone. I improvise and add pasta or whatever else I have that sounds good at the time. This came from Betty Crocker Creative Recipes # 133.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups water
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 medium green cabbage, chopped (3 cups)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained (such as kidney, garbanzo or great northern)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- grated stella parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion in oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Serve with cheese.
- To Refrigerate:.
- Refrigerate tightly covered no longer than 48 hours.
- To Reheat From Refrigerator:.
- Cover and heat soup to boiling in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
I have the same booklet that this came from, but misplaced it recently. I almost panicked when I couldn't find it. It's _that_ good. THANK YOU so much for putting this one out there for me. Everyone in my family loves this- and I have some serious vegetable haters. Worth all of the chopping & cleaning the veg!
This is EXCELLENT soup! It really is crowd-size, so make sure you have plenty of friends to share it with! I made it exactly as written, no pasta or anything, and it was very hearty, but pasta would be great too. Thank you!!!