Recipe by Cat^..^atude
This recipe was given to me by a bachelor who enjoys cooking, and making large quantities when he does.. It freezes well, and he makes up many individual servings for himself. I was never very fussy about clam chowder, but have to admit, I love the flavor of this one. I think the spicey clamato juice is the key to awesome flavor.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans clam broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can clams
- 1 (14 ounce) can clams
- 2 liters of extra spicy clamato juice
- 84 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 cups dice onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup pot barley
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Tabasco sauce, to suit taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute lightly, onions and bacon.
- Drain clams reserving juice.
- In a large stock pot, boil clamato juice, clam broth and drained broth from clams.
- When broth and clamato come to a boil, add bacon and onions.
- Bring back to boil,then add barley, rice,and carrots.
- Bring back to boil and then simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Now add tobasco, pepper and potatoes.
- Simmer again for another 45 minutes.
- Add clams.
- Thicken soup if desired (equal amounts of flour and water mixed together.