Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe makes two spreads for toasted sliced French bread- one with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, the other with olives and capers. Both can be made four days ahead. The croutons keep up to one day ahead sealed in plastic bags. This is great for any gathering- place spreads in separate crocks on a platter and surround with croutons. Originally from a September 1989 Bon Appetit as part of an outdoor barbeque for eight.
Goat Cheese Spread
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and cut julienne
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces French baguettes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cheese Spread:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss whole garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small baking dish.
- Bake until soft and brown, about 15 minutes;cool slightly.
- Slip skins off garlic, transfer to medium bowl and mash to paste.
- Mix in goat cheese and tomatoes.
- (Can be prepared 4 days ahead; refrigerate, covered. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature before serving.).
- For Olive Spread:.
- Puree olives with oil, basil,capers and garlic in processor; transfer to bowl.
- (Can be prepared 4 days ahead; refrigerate, covered. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature berfore serving.).
- For Croutons:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange bread slices on baking sheet.
- Brush both sides with butter.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely and store in sealed plastic bag at room temperature.).