Recipe by IngridH
From A Taste of Switzerland. If you love wild mushrooms, try this! Good country bread, topped with sauted creamy mushrooms and melted cheese. Serve with a green salad and glass of wine for a light meal.
Top Review by I'mPat
I made half a recipe to serve over steak, so did not use the bread but I did use whipped chilled evaporaive low fat milk in place of the cream but other wise cooked to recipe and it was delicious with our steak, thank you IngidH, made for 123 Hits Tag game.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb wild mushroom, sliced (chanterelles, cepes, or whatever you like)
- 7 ounces dry white wine
- 4 ounces cream
- 4 slices bread, a hearty country bread is best
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (or Sbrinz, if you can get it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, and cook until softened, but not brown. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over medium heat until the juices start to run. Uncover, and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the wine, reduce by half. Add the cream, stir, and let simmer a few minutes, until thickened.
- Toast the bread, and place on a baking sheet. Top with the mushroom mixture and grated cheese.
- Place the toasts under the broiler, just until the top starts to brown. Serve immediately.