Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Saw this on Great Food Live and thought it loked good. I then had a version in Switzerland which confirmed how fabulous it really is. Use this as a guide and make your own variation of it.
- 1 baguette
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 150 g morels
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 30 g butter
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 g parma ham, torn into pieces
- 150 g emmenthaler cheese, grated
- 150 g gruyere, grated
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- Cut the baguette into long slices, spread with the garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and grill until crispy.
- Lay the slices in a baking dish and splash half of the white wine over them.
- Set the oven to 200C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the mushrooms, shallots and garlic.
- Add the remaining white wine and the cream, and heat the mixture through.
- Spread the Parma ham over the top of the bread and then spoon over the creamy mushrooms.
- Scatter with the grated cheese and then sprinkle the kirsch over the top. Bake for seven to eight minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a green salad.
Spring PAC 2009: OUTSTANDING!! I served this with your Spinach pea soup - wow!! What a meal!
A delectable but very rich dish - I made this as posted with the exception of the parma ham - I used local smoked ham instead. I did not pre-grill the baguette, as I thought that it might be too crispy when they were oven baked later, I am glad I didn't, as my baguettes were crispy enough - EVEN with all the creamy mushrooms and cheese on top! We both loved this recipe but found it a tad on the rich side - so next time I will use creme fraiche I think and also cut back on the cheese a bit, even though we love cheese! We both loved the addition of the wine and kirsch - made for a very sophisticated taste, Made for PAC Autumn 2008 - thanks again Panda Rose! FT:-)