Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From fatfreevegan.com This is a tasty treat when you are craving something sweet but don't want the fat in a regular crunch. For the record- this is a diet friendly recipe.
- 5 -6 apples
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Chop up the apples and place them in a 8x8 inch baking pan sprayed with oil.
- Pour the maple syrup over the apples and then sprinkle cinnamon over it all.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and oatmeal. Then add the applesauce and brown sugar, and mix until the flour is just moistened and even a bit dry in some parts.
- Spread (or sort of "spoon and pat") the flour/oatmeal/applesauce/brown sugar mixture onto the apples. It doesn't have to spread from edge to edge - just spread it out best you can and don't worry about empty spots!
- Bake this in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes.
- When done, just "scoop" out of the pan, making sure to get both the crunchy part (the croustarde) and the apples. This is definitely not something you can cut.
Yum. We really enjoyed this different take on apple cobbler. I had some apples that were not great so I decided to use them up and found this recipe to try. I used way more than 5, but they were tiny. This makes quite a lot of syrup which is nice to drizzle over the top. We ate it cold after we went fishing (Catch and release though we never catch anything!) and it was very very good. Thanks Ajo!