Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fantastic appetizer from Bon Appetit. Use whatever fresh, mild chilies you can find. Great with a hearty Zinfandel or pale ale.
- 3 large fresh poblano chiles (other other fresh mild chilies)
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 4 ounces feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 18 slices baguette (1/2-inch thick)
- extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare medium heat grill.
- Char poblano and jalapeno chilies until blackened all over. Wrap chilies in paper bag and let stand 15 minutes. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop 2 poblano chiles and jalapeno chile; transfer to processor. Add feta, sour cream, chopped fresh dill and lemon juice to processor; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours.
- Peel, seed and thinly slice remaining poblano chile. This can be made 1 day ahead.
- Prepare barbecue grill to medium-high heat. Brush 1 side of baguette slices with extra virgin olive oil. Grill oiled side of bread until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer toasts to platter. Spoon about 2 teaspoons chile spread over each toast, top with thinly slices poblano chile, and serve.
I made this earlier in the summer--it's great. Just a little heat, not too overwhelming. Keeps well in the refrigerator for repeat uses.