Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001. These are just wonderful and tasty.
- 1 Italian bread, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 lb chicken liver, clean, trim & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 8 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set the baguette slices on baking sheet and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown on both sides, turning once, about 4 minutes; (alternately the bread may be browned on a grill, which will impart a lightly smoky flavor.).
- In a large skillet melt the butter, add the onion and saute until soft about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken livers, cognac and sage to the pan and saute until the livers are browned on all sides but still slightly pink in the center.
- Stir in capers and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the chicken liver mixture to a food processor and puree on high speed.
- Allow to cool before spreading on crostini.