Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
For a stylish seafood appetizer try this delicious recipe for citrus-flavoured clam-topped crostini.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 chilies, finely diced
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄4 lbs fresh clams, washed
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
- arugula, to serve
- Heat the olive, sesame and chilli oils in a large saucepan.
- Add the shallots, garlic, half the cilantro, half the ginger and half the chilli and cook over a medium heat until the shallots have softened without colouring.
- Add the wine and the bay leaves and increase the heat. Bring to the boil and add the clams.
- Cover the pan and cook over a brisk heat, shaking the pan from time to time, for between 3 - 5 minutes or until the clams have opened.
- Remove opened clams and set aside. Return unopened clams to the heat and cook for a further 2 minutes. Discard any that fail to open.
- Strain the cooking juices into another saucepan and boil the juices until they have reduced to about 4 tablespoons. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Lightly oil the baguette slices on both sides with the olive oil and place in the oven on a baking sheet. Bake until golden and brittle, around 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the bread slices are baking remove the cooked clams from their shells, discarding the shells.
- Chop the clam flesh into small pieces and combine with the remaining cilantro, ginger and chilli.
- Mix with the orange, lemon and lime rinds, the lime juice, scallion and mint.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Mix in the cooled cooking juices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Arrange the clam mixture on the baguette slices and serve with arugula salad.