Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this recipe from the book "la dolce vita The Sweet Life in Cortona, Tuscany, Italy." Although I can't recommend the book, this recipe sounds very similar to something I had in Cortona this past summer. If any of the ingredients sound ambiguous, blame the author! There is no serving size information in the book, so that is a guess on my part.
- 1 cup highly flavored fresh Italian sausage
- 7 ounces fresh fresh stracchino cheese (crescenza, or a coarsely grated semi-hard stracchino cheese)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices toasted in the oven
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Squeeze the sausage meat out of the casings and into a mixing bowl. Add the cheese and pepper and mix very thoroughly with a fork.
- Spread each toast with a generous helping of the sausage and cheese mixture. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the topping is bubbling.
- Serve piping hot, straight from the oven.