Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ihaven't tried this yet but it seems so easy and good and is also a great way to use up egg yolks. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1981)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 anchovy fillets, mashed
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- In a small skillet melt butter over medium heat. Stir in anchovies and wine and stir to blend. Set aside and keep warm.
- Set up three pie pans or plates. In the first pour in flour. In the second pour in beaten egg yolks. In the third pour in bread crumbs.
- Dip bread in flour (shaking off excess) and then into egg yolks and finally in the bread crumbs, again shaking off excess.
- Cut bread slices in half and set aside on a plate.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add bread slices to skillet in batches and fry until both sides are golden brown, adding more oil if necessary (2-4 minutes per side).
- Serve immediately topped with reserved anchovy sauce.
This is so good, and similar to a Greek recipe I used to make a long time ago, the only change I made was I sauteed fresh garlic in the butter, my DH enjoyed this for lunch with pork chops. Ellie, thanks so much for posting, I will make this again!...Kitten:)