Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Orange Ricotta Almond Tart
For the tart
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs well drained ricotta cheese (3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 grated large oranges, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the topping
- 3 large oranges, zest of
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche liquor
- fresh mint leaves (to garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350Â° F.
- Spread almonds on a cookie sheet and bake until light brown. Remove and set on a rack to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325Â° F.
- Grind almonds into a fine meal in a bowl or food processor.
- Add the eggs, ricotta, sugar, orange zest, orange liquor, vanilla and nutmeg. Process until well mixed, smooth, and fluffy.
- Butter a 9 or 10 inch quiche dish or a glass or ceramic pie plate (you could also use a a tart pan with a removable bottom).
- Pour the batter into the dish, filling almost to the top of the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour. The tart will puff up while baking. Remove and place on a rack to cool for 1 hour. Set aside and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the topping, peel the zest from the oranges and cut into long, very thin strips. Be careful to remove only the peel and not the white pith underneath.
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, add orange zest and cook slowly for 1 hour. If syrup becomes too dry add a little more water. Turn off heat and add cinnamon stick. Set aside.
- Just before serving time, remove the candied orange zest from the syrup and shake off the excess syrup. Reserve syrup and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of sugar on a piece of waxed paper.
- Place the zest on the sugar an toss well to coat with sugar.
- Place orange rind on the top of the tart and distribute evenly over the tart.
- To serve, cut the tart into wedges. Place on serving plates, top with a dollop of Creme Frauche, and drizzle a teaspoon of the reserved syrup on top.
- Garnish with mint leaves.