Recipe by Bergy
Wonderful flavored pot roast or you may use a crock pot. You could add potatoes to make this a complete meal in one pot. Add potatoes for the last 45 minutes of cooking time in the Dutch Oven . If you are using a crock pot allow5 1/2 hours on low put your veggies (including potatoes) on the bottom of the crock pot put roast on top, turn roast after 3 hours and baste with sauce. I prefer doing this recipe in a Dutch oven .
- 3 lbs cross-rib roasts or 3 lbs blade roast, boneless
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup tomato juice or 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup canned tomato, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make small cuts in the roast and insert the slivers of garlic.
- Rub the meat with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven over high heat sear the roast on all sides browning well about 7 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaf, and stock.
- Cover tightly, lower heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hrs, Turn the beef occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, and basil.
- Simmer for about an hour or until the beef is tender, discard bay leaf.
- Slice and serve with veggies and sauce.