Recipe by Kat's Mom
From Crosby's web site. They recommend using Fancy Molasses. I like finding manufacturer's recipes. They have a vested interest in giving you a recipe that is delicious so that you will buy their products. The marmalade should complement the spices nicely. Prep time is a guess-timate.
Top Review by Cat R.
This is a good moist cake, and simple to make. Spicy and tangy, but not sweet. I used self raising flour, without extra raising ingredients and as I'm in the UK, it was treacle instead of molasses. My spice measurements were generous and I didn't have as much marmalade as the recipe called for, but it seemed fine. If I was making it again (which is possibly) I'd maybe add some chunks of preserved ginger.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
AND TO MAKE IT FIZZ
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the melted shortening, beaten egg, molasses and marmalade.
- In a large bowl, sift/mix dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and beat well.
- Add boiling water and mix thoroughly.
- Bake in 8" square pan for 25 to 30 minutes.