Recipe by BarbryT
Crosby Elementary School via the Food Network. These remind me of those I loved as a child--except I do not remember any crunch to those. Thus, I have adapted this recipe to saute the vegetables briefly with the beef. WARNING: These are VERY sweet, so adjust the amount of ketchup and/or brown sugar to moderate that, if desired. If you wish to increase the amount of vegetables, without anyone noticing :-) you can, as I did, add a few tablespoons of finely diced eggplant to the vegetables when sauteing them.
Top Review by katew
Just delicious !! I loved the inclusion of eggplant and added a generous amount. I was also generous with the other vegies and added a sliced leek as well. I served this with couscous and we loved it.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 3⁄4 cups catsup
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped eggplant (optional)
- 14 large buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the beef in a large pot and drain well.
- Return it to the pot with all the vegetables and saute until the celery is just tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the buns) and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Divide the beef mixture among the buns and serve immediately.
- The beef mixture freezes well!