Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crosby Elementary School via the Food Network. These remind me of those I loved as a child--except I do not remember any crunch to those. Thus, I have adapted this recipe to saute the vegetables briefly with the beef. WARNING: These are VERY sweet, so adjust the amount of ketchup and/or brown sugar to moderate that, if desired. If you wish to increase the amount of vegetables, without anyone noticing :-) you can, as I did, add a few tablespoons of finely diced eggplant to the vegetables when sauteing them.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 3⁄4 cups catsup
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped eggplant (optional)
- 14 large buns, split
- Brown the beef in a large pot and drain well.
- Return it to the pot with all the vegetables and saute until the celery is just tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the buns) and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Divide the beef mixture among the buns and serve immediately.
- The beef mixture freezes well!
Just delicious !! I loved the inclusion of eggplant and added a generous amount. I was also generous with the other vegies and added a sliced leek as well. I served this with couscous and we loved it.
The man of the house made this and loved it -- it really does call back the flavors of an old-fashioned school cafeteria for better or worse. He more or less doubled all the veggies, and offered the opinion that, if you don't, you might as well leave them out. Filling and delicious. Made as a prize in Top Favorites of 2009.
I made this last night because I had 5 kids to feed! Everyone really enjoyed it, and gobbled it up. I did add extra eggplant (half a large eggplant), bell pepper (almost a whole one) celery (1 full stalk) and onion (1 medium), and I also added a 440g can of diced tomatoes, and a 125g can of 4 bean mix. The vegetables were all very well hidden and I would possibly add some grated carrot and zucchini nxt time i make it too. I sprinkled some chili flakes on mine at serving. [Made for PRMR]