Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Emeril's cookbook Louisiana Real and Rustic; posted for ZWT 5. "Long ago, before modern highways, it was near impossible for country children to get the golden beignets that their city cousins enjoyed. However, they managed quite well with these little friend doughnut-like cakes. They are NOT like the classic French croquignoles, which are glazed crunchy biscuits."
- 709.77 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml grated nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until light and frothy.
- Add the sugar and whisk to dissolve.
- Add the butter and vanilla and continue to whisk for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture, about 1 cup at a time, blending together until a stiff dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and sprinkle the dough with a little flour.
- Pat the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut out about 12 diamond-shape pieces.
- Make a slit lengthwise through the center of each diamond.
- Heat the oil to 360ºF. in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan.
- Deep-fry the diamonds, two to three at a time, turning them around with a slotted spoon, until they are golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Yum! Just like eating a cake doughnut! Made exactly as written, but diner524 can tell you I'm not very good at getting the right shape. Mine were more square than diamond-shaped. It's a good idea to watch them closely as they cook because there's a fine line between perfect & over-browned. I dusted all but 1 of them w/the powdered sugar as per the recipe, tried the last one w/butter & it was delish as I knew it would be. I don't think you could go wrong using a favorite glaze, honey or jam. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
WOW, did these croquignoles ever taste good Alli. The flavor of these cake like donuts were awesome, tender, light and spicy. I did have a little difficulty with the dough when cutting out these little gems, they didn't look so pretty but taste fantastic. Thanks for sharing a recipe that we will enjoy again. Made for ZWT9.