Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Enjoy a classic French cafe snack with this tasty recipe for toasted ham and cheese topped with an egg.
- 1 slice white bread, good-quality
- butter, for spreading
- 1 slice cooked ham
- 2 ounces gruyere, grated
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 1 egg
- 1 head endive, separated into leaves
For the salad dressing
- 1 1⁄4 cups olive oil
- 7 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- First make the salad dressing. Place the olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and freshly ground pepper into a blender and blend until all ingredients are mixed well together.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Toast a slice of white bread. Spread the toasted bread with butter, sprinkle with half of the Gruyere cheese and top with a slice of cooked ham.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere cheese then place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Add in the egg and fry until cooked to taste.
- Place the fried egg on top of the toasted ham and cheese.
- Serve at once, with endive tossed with the salad dressing.