1/6 Photos of Croquembouche (puff, christmas tree)
1 hr 15 mins
This makes a super dessert and a great holiday center piece. You can use this as a base recipe and do all kinds of things, use chocolate in stead of carmelized sugar, fill the puffs with custard or whipped cream, decorate with tiny almond paste holly leaves etc. etc. Again it is a do ahead recipe to take some of the strain off last munute rush.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- 1To make Puffs:preheat oven 400f.
- 2Bring water, butter,sugar & salt to a roiling boil in a large saucepan.
- 3Add flour all at once, stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan clean. Remove from heat.
- 4Beat in eggs, one at at a time with a wooden spoon until paste is shiny& smooth Drop pastry by well rounded teasp, 1 1/2" apart on 2 ungreased cookie sheets Bake 35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- 5Cool on a wire rack.
- 6Prepare carmelized sugar:.
- 7Heat sugar & lemon juice in a heavy medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until the sugar is melted and light golden brown.
- 8Do not let it burn Remove from heat.
- 9Putting it together:.
- 10Place 14 puffs in a 9" circle on a platter.
- 11Fill in the center of the circle with about 5 more puffs.
- 12Working quickly and carefully dip the bottom of remaining puffs in the carmalized sugar (don't let it touch your skin), one at a time and place each on top of the base puffs in a slightly smaller circle Fill in the center with puffs.
- 13Continue making each circle smaller to form a tree shape.
- 14Drizzle the remaining sugar over the tree and decorate with the cherry halves You may refrigerate for 1-2 days.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croquembouche (puff, christmas tree)
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.6
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 52.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: