Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an EASY variant of Eggs Benedict or Croque Monsieur - depending on your perspective! We love Eggs Benny, and Croque Monsieur but we wanted something quicker and easier but equally tasty for a nice lunch at home, so we came up with this recipe :)
- 4 -8 tablespoons margarine (Becel Olive Oil type)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk (Silk coffee milk is best)
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (like Parmesan, Asiago, Romano, Gruyere, Swiss or combo)
- 6 large eggs, with unused
- 1 egg white, from sauce above
- 1 pinch kosher salt (as desired)
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 8 pieces (or 8 slices of any type of toasted bread)
- 8 slices prosciutto, sliced but not paper thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sauce: Melt 2-3 tablespoons of margarine over medium heat.
- Add flour & cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring with a whisk (or chopsticks:).
- Remove from heat.
- Add soy milk & whisk until smooth.
- Beat in egg yolk & return to heat to cook for another minute.
- Stir in cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg and 1/2 tablespoon Dijon until cheese melts.
- Set heat to the lowest setting & cover while you do the next steps.
- Eggs: Melt a knob of margarine in a medium non-stick skillet over medium to medium-low heat.
- When the margarine's foam begins to subside, add the eggs (do not whisk)
- Let eggs set a little, then *fold* (do not stir)the eggs.
- season with salt & pepper to taste.
- fold eggs again one or two more times, and when they look *almost* done for you, remove from heat & cover while you prepare the next step (they will continue cooking in the hot pan & be just right by the time you are ready to use them)
- Sandwich: Split open each bread piece
- Toast the bread on a grill pan until golden or broil the bread cut side up until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes, keeping a careful watch on the bread since it can easily burn
- lightly brush desired amounts of margarine & mustard on the cut sides of the toasted bread
- Arrange a slice of prosciutto (and extra cheese if you like) with some scrambled egg on each piece of toasted bread
- Cover with sauce.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped basil.