1/1 Photo of Croque Monsieur Benedict
Chef Canada Umami's Note:
This is an EASY variant of Eggs Benedict or Croque Monsieur - depending on your perspective! We love Eggs Benny, and Croque Monsieur but we wanted something quicker and easier but equally tasty for a nice lunch at home, so we came up with this recipe :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -8 tablespoons margarine (Becel Olive Oil type)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk (Silk coffee milk is best)
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated (like Parmesan, Asiago, Romano, Gruyere, Swiss or combo)
- 6 large eggs, with unused
- 1 egg white, from sauce above
- 1 pinch kosher salt (as desired)
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 8 pieces (or 8 slices of any type of toasted bread)
- 8 slices prosciutto, sliced but not paper thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1Sauce: Melt 2-3 tablespoons of margarine over medium heat.
- 2Add flour & cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring with a whisk (or chopsticks:).
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4Add soy milk & whisk until smooth.
- 5Beat in egg yolk & return to heat to cook for another minute.
- 6Stir in cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg and 1/2 tablespoon Dijon until cheese melts.
- 7Set heat to the lowest setting & cover while you do the next steps.
- 8Eggs: Melt a knob of margarine in a medium non-stick skillet over medium to medium-low heat.
- 9When the margarine's foam begins to subside, add the eggs (do not whisk)
- 10Let eggs set a little, then *fold* (do not stir)the eggs.
- 11season with salt & pepper to taste.
- 12fold eggs again one or two more times, and when they look *almost* done for you, remove from heat & cover while you prepare the next step (they will continue cooking in the hot pan & be just right by the time you are ready to use them)
- 13Sandwich: Split open each bread piece
- 14Toast the bread on a grill pan until golden or broil the bread cut side up until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes, keeping a careful watch on the bread since it can easily burn
- 15lightly brush desired amounts of margarine & mustard on the cut sides of the toasted bread
- 16Arrange a slice of prosciutto (and extra cheese if you like) with some scrambled egg on each piece of toasted bread
- 17Cover with sauce.
- 18Serve hot garnished with chopped basil.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croque Monsieur Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.5
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 373.4 mg
- Sodium 1662.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: