A croque monsieur is the sandwich of the masses in France. You'll get them in every deli, street fair and local restaurant. This recipe shows you how to enjoy this treat without a sandwich maker, but if you are lucky enough to own a sandwich maker then you can skip the frying part, cutting down on the fat and calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g gruyere cheese
- 150 ml double cream or 150 ml strained Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 8 -10 slices white bread, not too fresh
- 100 g thinly sliced ham
- 75 g butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
For the Cheese Sauce
- 1Grate the cheese on the small hole of the cheese grater.
- 2Put two tablespoons of it aside and mix the rest with enough cream or yogurt to make a thick paste (the leftover cream or yogurt will go in the sauce).
- 3Add some salt and pepper as well.
- 4Cut the crusts off the bread and spread each slice generously with the paste.
- 5Put a slice of ham, trimmed to fit, on half the sandwiches.
- 6Press together, particularly the edges, and cut each one in half diagonally.
- 7Now make the sauce by melting one tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan.
- 8Stir in the flour and gradually add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- 9Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and cook at a gentle simmer for several minutes.
- 10Stir in the reserved cream or yogurt, the mustard and the cheese.
- 11Cook until melted and smooth.
- 12To cook the sandwiches, heat half the butter and oil until it is very hot.
- 13Fry half the sandwiches for a couple minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- 14Drain on absorbent paper, while frying the rest of the batch.
- 15Serve with a knife and fork and a bit of sauce on the side, to drizzle over individually.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croque Monsieur
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1269.8
- Calories from Fat 875
- Total Fat 97.2 g
- Saturated Fat 54.6 g
- Cholesterol 294.8 mg
- Sodium 2023.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 39.5 g