Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Barefoot Contessa
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 12 ounces gruyere, grated (5 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 16 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces baked virginia ham, sliced but not paper thin
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.
- To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.
- Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Amazing. Simply amazing. I would love to eat this sandwich every single day if it weren't for that pesky little thing called a waistline.... This is creamy, crispy, savory, cheesy decadence in sandwich form. Love the nutmeg in the cheese sauce! Thanks for posting this gem cali_love!
I like how this recipe is crispy and not pan fried in butter. Another croque monsieur The Classic French Bistro Sandwich - Croque Monsieur calls for the bread to be dipped in egg batter. I made both recipes and this one came out better in crispness. The cheese sauce also makes this sandwich much tastier. The cheese sauce is fairly easy to make, just make sure the heat is set to around medium so that the milk-flour mixture can thicken. I didn't remove the crusts and they blackened pretty quickly in the oven. I would also toast the bread maybe 3-4 mins on the first side, not 5 mins. I left out the dijon on half the sandwiches for those who don't like mustard. I made this for lunch and ate with salt & pepper potato chips and some greens.
This may be one of the most delectable things I've ever eaten! If you like a good ham and cheese sandwich, you'll love this. The fact that it's not fried is an added plus, and I'm amazed that something so easy to put together could taste so good. It's no wonder that this is one of the most popular sandwiches in France. Just Delicious!! Thanks for sharing!