Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just saw Paula make this on the "Bistro Brunch" episode. It's like a very rich fried ham and cheese sandwich in a casserole. She also used a larger dish on the show, I will use a 9X13. I think it would be fine without the nutmeg, a little of it goes a long way. Also, some of the reviewers on the other site suggested a more sturdy bread, I will use a good artisan sour dough bread. Make sure your ham is sliced thin and use unsalted butter.I might even try it with cooked bacon. I'm going to test it first and maybe serve for Christmas morning.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 10 -12 slices white bread (or sour dough)
- 3⁄4 lb deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, grated, reserve some for top of casserole
- 6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.(or larger dish)
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over low heat until bubbling. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until thick and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Whisk in the mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour a thin layer of the sauce into the prepared baking dish and cover it with 5 or 6 slices of the bread, then slices of the ham and an even layer of the Gruyere.
- Repeat the layers once more, ending with a third layer of sauce to cover all.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crack 3 eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the whites are nearly set, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the eggs and continue cooking until the whites are slightly set, they will cook more under the broiler.
- You're going to top portions of the casserole with a fried egg. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
- Top with Gruyere and put in the oven for a few minutes until cheese melts, watching carefully so it does not burn.
- Cut into 6 pieces so each has an egg and serve.