Recipe by Hey Jude
Crook's Corner is a restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. This is a dish served at the restaurant and I found the recipe in the latest Southern Living magazine. I made this last night for dinner and my husband and I went nuts for it, it's the ultimate comfort food. Don't let the long list of ingredients throw you off, this goes together quickly and easily.
Top Review by Lemon Drop
I will be making this again soon because it's yummy! I used black instead of white pepper and Chalula instead of Tabasco. The two of us ate all the shrimp mostly because shrimp leftovers are not so good and I'm excited to have the leftover cheese grits in the morning. One tip would be to make sure and have all of your ingredients ready and measured out because of the timing required in this recipe. Thanks!
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits (I used quick grits and they were fine)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- lemon wedge
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened; add cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients; set aside but keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
- Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.
- Saute mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes, or until tender; add green onions and saute 2 minutes; add shrimp and garlic and saute 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown; stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and hot sauce and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from skillet.
- Divide grits into 4 large, shallow soup bowls; divide shrimp mixture into four servings and place on top of grits; top each serving with crumbled bacon and serve with lemon wedges.