Crook's Corner is a restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. This is a dish served at the restaurant and I found the recipe in the latest Southern Living magazine. I made this last night for dinner and my husband and I went nuts for it, it's the ultimate comfort food. Don't let the long list of ingredients throw you off, this goes together quickly and easily.
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits (I used quick grits and they were fine)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- lemon wedge
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened; add cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients; set aside but keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
- Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.
- Saute mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes, or until tender; add green onions and saute 2 minutes; add shrimp and garlic and saute 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown; stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and hot sauce and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from skillet.
- Divide grits into 4 large, shallow soup bowls; divide shrimp mixture into four servings and place on top of grits; top each serving with crumbled bacon and serve with lemon wedges.