Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy to prepare festive dish that is perfect for brunch or supper.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 -5 plain croissants, depending on size
- 5 -6 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups finely grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly grated nutmeg
- minced fresh parsley or chervil (to garnish)
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper toweling.
- Crumble and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Split the croissants in half lengthwise and place bottoms, cut side up, in one layer in a well buttered casserole.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour about half the mixture over the croissants.
- Layer the croissants with most of the Gruyere cheese, then the bacon, and finally the Mozzarella cheese.
- cover evenly with the remaining egg mixture.
- Top with the croissant tops, cut side down, and sprinkle with remaining Gruyere, the parmesan, and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
- Bake until cheese is melted, the interior is set, and the cheese on top is bubbly, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cover the casserole with foil if the croissants seem to be browning too quickly.
- Sprinkle with parsley or chervil before serving if desired.
- Cut with a spoon to serve.