Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My family loves these sandwiches. We also make them with leftover flank steak, or any other leftover meat.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup white horseradish, prepared
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick, divided)
- 3 beef tenderloin steaks, thick
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 large croissants, halved horizontally, lightly toasted
- 2 cups arugula
- Mix mayonnaise and horseradish in small bowl to blend.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tenderloin steaks with salt and pepper. Add steaks to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Using tongs, transfer steaks to work surface.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until dark brown, about 25 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth; boil until juices are reduced to glaze, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. Season onion mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 croissant bottom, cut side up, on each of 4 plates. Spread each with horseradish mayonnaise and top with 1/2 cup arugula. Thinly slice steaks and divide among croissants. Top with onion mixture. Spread remaining mayonnaise on cut side of croissant tops. Place tops on sandwiches.
Great steak sammie! I made my own croissants and I also added provolone cheese. These were a very filling dinner and super easy to make. Thanks Lazyme for an awesome dinner!
Made these for dinner last night with some leftover flank steak and they were outstanding. I love steak with mushrooms and onions so I knew I couldn't go wrong with this recipe. The horseradish gives it that extra kick and my husband loved it. The croissants I got from a local bakery were a perfect buttery accompaniment. Thanks for such a great recipe!