I got this from watching Tyler Florence on "The Tony Danza Show". I'm a college student, so you know that it's cheap to make! But my little cousins all go crazy over these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1use granny smith apples because of their low water content. juicy apples, like McIntosh, fall apart and turn to mush (He wasn't lying. That's the worse batch I made!).
- 2Make the batter for the French toast by whisking together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until evenly blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- 3Pay close attention while you make the apples.
- 4Put the sugar in a large, dry skillet and place it over medium-low heat.
- 5Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Be careful; the sugar is really hot at this point.
- 6Still stirring, add the butter, which will foam a little.
- 7Once the sugar and butter become a caramel sauce, fold in the apple wedges. Now, because the apples are cooler than the sugar, the sugar may start to seize and harden, but don't trip out- KEEP STIRRING! Once the apples warm up the caramel will smooth out again.
- 8When the caramel sauce loosens up and coats the apples, pour in the maple syrup.
- 9Give it a stir and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the apples are fork tender.
- 10Pull them off the heat and keep them warm.
- 11For the french toast itself, warm the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat.
- 12You'll probably only be able to fit a couple of croissants in the pan at once, so make them in batches.
- 13Take a croissant half and dredge it quickly in the batter. Do this QUICKLY or else the croissant will disintegrate if soaked in the batter.
- 14Lay the croissants in the pan, cut side down and cook for 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip them over with a spatula and brown the other side.
- 15The presentation is like a caramel apple sandwich. Put the bottom half of the croissant on a plate; spoon some of the caramel apples on top of that and cover with the top half of the croissant.
- 16Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Croissant French Toast With Soft Caramel Apples
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.2
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 228.5 mg
- Sodium 561.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 54.3 g
- Protein 11.3 g